Friday, October 12, 2012

7QT 2012-10-12

I'm back with (what else?) 7 quick takes, since I am incapable of an original thought. Fortunately Jen Fulwiler has provided a structure and theme that even a hack like me can glom on to, so away we go:

  1. First, I have to unsay some of my previous recommendation of Bob Schneider, at least as a live act. I'd still say he's a brilliant songwriter, and his skill as a performer was entirely enviable, but I was... well, disturbed by some of his humor. I don't mind profanity and bodily functions-- I've always believed that there are two kinds of jokes, clean ones and funny ones-- but at one point he sort of stepped over the line (in my opinion) by applying very crass humor to the person of Jesus.

    Tried to explain to the Agnostic Spouse why this troubled me (or rather, why I felt a little bad for laughing). She told me I'm taking myself too seriously. Which of course I frequently do, so maybe she was right about this one, too. But I'm sorry to say that I don't think I'll listen to Bob Schneider for a long time without feeling a bit of lingering disappointment.
  2. HT to Betty Duffy for reminding me about the "Year of Faith", or as I like to think of it, "The Year of Marginally Less Doubt... Maybe?" And also: If you happen to read this, Mrs. Duffy, I'd like to wish you a belated Happy Birthday and thank you for your thoughtful writing.
  3. As the existence of this blog attests, I've long since waded into the Tiber, and asked myself what, exactly, I and the church of my upbringing were "Protesting" against. I find that I like Catholic blogs, Catholic music (though the Protestants have J.S. Bach-- ouch), Catholic churches, and I can be persuaded on an intellectual level to believe much of (what I know of) Catholic doctrine... But a few concerns still remain. Like saints. And talking to them as a part of one's prayers.

    I "get" the Rosary-- really I do-- and how the repeated Hail Marys function as an opportunity and an inducement to turn one's eyes toward the One at the center of the Christian faith. But it still creeps me out a little to go to a mass and turn with the rest of the congregation toward a statue(!) of the Virgin and "hail" it three times.

    Not to suggest that "it creeps me out" constitutes an apologetic argument. But there it is.
  4. On the foregoing topic I sometimes think to myself "a billion professing Christians can't be wrong." It's funny how you'll use number-of-adherents in trying to evaluate a truth claim. There are way more Christians in full communion with the Pope than there are Christians who identify as, say, "Reformed", but you'll always hear the argument advanced that any church that's grown large (be it the Catholic Church or the neighborhood evangelical megachurch) has compromised in some way with "the world". Apparently there's no safety in numbers, whether they're big ones or little ones.
  5. It would be a lot easier for my family life if I could convince myself that I was neither evangelical, nor Catholic, but a liberal Protestant. Consequently I frequent Rachel Held Evans' blog. As a father of daughters, I can only be sympathetic with her program to give women a voice in the church, and she often has some worthwhile observations on scripture and culture. But yesterday her husband Dan posted and, honestly, reading it made me feel like a total loser as a husband. I love when he writes (with emphasis!), "I have Rachel's back and I'm doing everything in my power to make sure her voice is heard." It's so neat to see him supporting her this way. But I read this as a veteran of all these conversations/arguments/decade-long struggle I've been having with my wife about religion, in which she always ends up telling me, "I don't feel like you're on my side," because I'm arguing (as gently as I know how to-- God help me!) for Catholic social teaching or some Protestant variant thereof.

    And she's right. I'm not on her side. I want to be. I really actually wish I still believed in her side.
  6. Anyway, this has already become more like "7 Quick Gripes", so moving on to something more positive: I get to spend tonight at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center along with my second-grade daughter and the kids from her school's math club for a, um, special math event. If this doesn't sound like a blast to you, well, you're just not a turbo-nerd like myself, are you? I-- I mean, she-- will get to ride the simulators, see an Imax movie and spend the night in the same "habitats" used for Space Camp. Space Camp! My geeky little cup runneth over.
  7. I'll use this last "quick take" to say an advance thanks to Jen Fulwiler for her "7QT Participation Appreciation Day" giveaway. I am never one to turn down free books, and I'll confess that it was the lure of a shot at that $50 gift card that provided the impetus for me to finally write another post. (I know, I know: what a great service Mrs. Fulwiler has done to the blogosphere by encouraging me to once again raise my voice.) Seriously: thanks Jen, and good luck to all you other 7QTers.

4 comments:

  1. The $50 gift card possibility got me too :)
    Such a great, honest blog you have going on here. And I think no matter what we profess, or how staunchly we believe, we are all on some point on the spectrum of a journey of faith... and if you have the patience to listen and the openness to hear, you'll find a closer place for that restlessness.
    In the meantime, keep writing it through :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thank you and thank you!

    Re. Hailing Mary: the angels greeted Mary with those same words in the Gospel of Luke. I know many Protestants think we've gone too far--but again and again, in Scripture, Jesus gifts us with his mother ("Behold your mother"), and Mary directs us back to Christ ("Do whatever he tells you").


    Best to you in your explorations of Catholicism. I'll pray for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Christine: Thanks very much for the encouragement. Just took a gander at your blog and I'm enjoying it as well. Looking forward to seeing more.

    @Betty: Thanks for your response, and thanks VERY much for your prayers. Gotta agree that this does seem to be the understanding of Mary that the Church has clung to for all these centuries. I think it's the statue part that really pokes the Southern Baptist in me: I keep expecting Moses to come back down the mountain and drop his jaw (and his tablets) and ask me what EXACTLY I think I'm DOING?!

    I think it was Merton who observed that people often have a foolish tendency to let their "oogie" feelings keep them away from the truth. (Not an exact quote, that :-) ...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. RCR, I've been a Catholic for a wonderful year, now, and I came out of a pretty hot and strong Calvinist background. I sincerely believed that images and icons and whatnot were a curse and a snare, liable to deceive Christians into worshipping the created instead of the Creator, and a clear breach of the second commandment. I was consistent enough about this not only to be very happy that our church had no cross or pictorial material in the worship space, but to wince at Sunday school material that included pictures of Jesus, to avoid Christmas cards with nativity scenes on and to argue this case on Christian blogs.

    Then I became intellectually convinced that the Catholic Church is the Church that Christ founded, that He speaks of in John 17, that the Holy Spirit leads into all truth. I started going to Mass, but was left with a residual pyschological problem, that I still found it very difficult to look at all the pictorial material in church without fearing that I might be committing idolatry. For a long time (months) I prayed and worshipped at Mass, looking at the floor, while listening VERY hard.

    In the meantime, I did a big rethink. First, I had to accept that if the Church is who she says she is (and I already believed that) she can determine what is lawful for Christians, and she determined a long time ago that the veneration (not worship, mark you) of an icon passes through to its real object. Would I kiss Christ's feet? You bet I would. Would I love and venerate Mary? Absolutely. Could I trust the Church? Kinda had to, since I'd seen the untenability of Protestantism.

    I then started to rethink my interpretation of the Second Commandment, and realised it was, in fact, just that - my interpretation, and a peculiarly limited and limiting one. In fleeing the visual world, I was effectively telling God that it would have been better if we were all blindworms, without the gift of sight. I concluded that the Church is right in her determination that the Incarnation has changed everything. I further considered that, since there are five billion images of God on the planet, perhaps the Church has, not too many icons, but entirely too few.

    And then, gradually, the problem went away. Well, it would. It was only ever a non-problem, one of the many barriers and divisions and temptations to spiritual pride and artistic snobbery, that keep Christians from uniting themselves, joyfully, to the one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church.

    So, if a convert of a bare year may offer advice, I would relax about the statue, and concentrate on the salutation. The Blessed Mother only ever wants to point us to Christ.

    Best wishes, and I will pray for you too.

    Otepoti

    (also a friend of the inimitable Betty Duffy.)

    ReplyDelete