Thursday, July 19, 2012

"I shall serve as praise for his justice"

And finally, Margaret, I know this well: that without my fault he will not let me be lost. I shall, therefore, with good hope commit myself wholly to him. And if he permits me to perish for my faults, then I shall serve as praise for his justice. But in good faith, Meg, I trust that his tender pity shall keep my poor soul safe and make me commend his mercy.

And, therefore, my own good daughter, do not let you mind be troubled over anything that shall happen to me in this world. Nothing can come but what God wills. And I am very sure that whatever that be, however bad it may seem, it shall indeed be the best.

- from a letter written by Saint Thomas More from prison to his daughter Margaret (I found it here)

I'm not sure about this whole "intercession of saints" thing. As C. S. Lewis somewhere observed, it's hard to understand why one would bother asking for the saints' help when we can approach God Himself in prayer through Jesus. Veneration, on the other hand, I do understand; the lives of the saints are often so instructive, so inspiring, and so convicting.

St. Thomas More has caught my attention lately. He is listed by SQPN as having "difficult marriages" under his patronage, I assume because he was widowed and then subsequently married to a woman who didn't quite "get" him. Of course he is better known as a martyr for the Catholic faith. While I can only admire his commitment, from my modern standpoint I'm appalled by his actions in executing "heretics" as Chancellor.

Would I have done the same thing in his time, in his position? I would like to think not. But I know very well that I would not have had his unbelievable courage in defying Henry VIII and maintaining his beliefs against the threat of his own execution. I wish I could find in myself some of that kind of certainty. So long as it didn't make me certain enough to kill someone who disagreed with me.

At any rate, this excerpt from his prison letter to his daughter struck me hard. I have often been comforted by the thought that, though I am far from being righteous in God's sight, though I seem to continue helplessly in my rebellion and keep myself back from him in so many ways, I will one day glorify him either through his mercy in Christ and my consequent repentance, or through my just damnation. Like More, I hope for the former, of course; but I will try to hold on to the part of myself that wants and loves Justice even if I end up on the wrong side of it.

Well, here's my stab at requesting a saint's intercession:

St. Thomas More, please intercede for me, that I might not harshly judge those who (now and historically) seek justice and truth to the best of their ability; and for me and my wife, that we might be led together to repentance and a right understanding of, and union with, Christ and the Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment